IRCC has updated the online processing tool to provide accurate information on processing times. This update was part of the effort to modernize the Canadian immigration system and was announced by immigration minister Sean Fraser on March 31, 2022. This article enlists latest processing times from IRCC as of May 3, 2022.
What Updates Does the Processing Time Include
In addition to accurate processing times, this tool is supposed to provide new weekly calculations from the previous six months’ data. Moreover, it will reflect the application volume with operational challenges to help future immigrants plan their journey better.
Calculating Processing Times
IRCC calculates processing time based on its time to process previous similar applications. The processing time begins when IRCC receives the application and ends when the immigration officer has decided on the application. Moreover, the processing time may vary on how the application was submitted on paper or online.
Current Processing Times
Current immigration data reveals about 1.84 million people are awaiting processing. However, some improvements in processing time are seen with express entry applicants. Still, IRCC is struggling to process applications due the impact on Covid-19 pandemic. Below are some of the current processing times.
Processing time for Express Entry under Economic Class
- Canadian Experience Class (CEC): 9 months
- Federal Skilled Worker (FSWP): 27 months
- Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP): 41 months
- Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) through express entry: 22 months
- Non-Express Entry PNP: 27 months
- Quebec skilled worker: 31 months
- Quebec business class: 64 months
- Federal Self-employed: 41 months
- Atlantic Immigration Program: 15 months
- Start-up Visa: 31 months
Processing Time for Family Sponsorship
- Spouse or common-law partner living outside Canada: 22 months
- Spouse or common-law partner living inside Canada: 15 months
- Parents or Grandparents: 33 months
Processing Time for Temporary Residence Application
- Visitor visa outside Canada: Varies by country (India: 123 days)
- Visitor visa inside Canada: 16 days online and 27 days by paper
- Visitor extension: 214 days online and 216 days by paper
- Parents or grandparents Super Visa: Varies by country (India: 135 days)
- Study permit outside Canada: 11 weeks
- Study permit inside Canada: 3 weeks
- Study permit extension: 60 days online and 219 days by paper
- Work permit outside Canada: Varies by country (India: 51 weeks)
- Work permit inside Canada (initial application or extension): 137 days online and 164 days by paper
- International Experience Canada: Current season – 4 weeks
- Electronic Travel Authorization: 5 minutes
Kamal Deep Singh, RCIC (Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant) licensed by CICC (formerly known as ICCRC) with member number R708618. He brings extensive knowledge of immigration law and new changes to rapidly evolving IRCC.