Skip to content
Canada IMP

Canada International Mobility Program – All You Need To Know

Last Updated On 22 May 2023, 9:52 AM EDT (Toronto Time)

The International Mobility Program (IMP) lets employers in Canada to hire temporary foreign workers without the need for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

Usually, Canadian employers need an LMIA to hire temporary foreign workers(TWP). However, there are some exemptions to the LMIA requirement.

The labor market in Canada has been under tremendous strain due to various reasons.

This includes- declining birth rate, labour shortage, and younger retirement age. Therefore, many important jobs in Canada are left vacant.

So, to fill these positions, Canada offers both permanent and temporary employment opportunities to foreign workers at all skill levels.  

This article provides brief summary and links to more information on streams under the international mobility program.

What is the International Mobility Program (IMP)?

If a job position serves Canada’s cultural and economic interests, a Canadian employer can hire temporary worker without LMIA- through IMP.

Thus, this makes it faster and simpler to process the applications of temporary foreign workers and fill in labour gap. 

Canada IMP Streams

There are various work permit streams and programs that can be covered under the IMP.

Listed are the links to common streams/programs that fall under the IMP—

Reciprocal Youth Exchange AgreementsThis program is for workers between the ages of 18 and 30 (35) years of age, such as the International Experience Canada (IEC) stream. 

International Free Trade Agreements—There are many agreements between Canada and its trade partners to provide work to citizens of those countries in the interest of good trade. These agreements include:

  1. CUSMA (Formerly know as NAFTA – North American Free Trade Agreement)
  2. Canada-Chile FTA/Canada-Peru FTA/Canada-Columbia FTA/Canada-Korea FTA/;
  3. Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA);
  4. General Agreement On Trade In Services (GATS).
  5. Canada and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (CUKTCA)
  6. Canada–Panama Free Trade Agreement
  7. Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP)

The Intra-company Trader Program—This program is for those transferring to a Canadian branch of the company they already work for outside Canada.

The Bridging Open Work Permit—This stream is for those who want to work in Canada and currently has a permanent resident application under processing.

Circumstances of Social or Cultural Benefit to Canada— This program is for those who can contribute to Canada in a significant way through programs such as the Mobilité Francophone Program.

How To Apply?

Job Offer— Firstly, your prospective employer will need to submit an official job offer in Canada via the Employer Portal. The employers need to-

  • Prove that the job or worker meets the requirements for LMIA exemption;
  • Pay the compliance fee of $230; and
  • Submit an official job offer via the IMP Employer Portal (if required).

Apply for a Work Permit—After this, you can apply for your temporary foreign work permit.

You will need your offer of employer number. Once your application is approved you will receive a letter of introduction.

Also, you will then receive your work permit. Additionally, you may also need to submit a medical certificate to show that you are in good health.