IRCC has updated the online processing tool to provide accurate information on processing times. This update was part of the effort to modernize the Canadian immigration system and was announced by immigration minister Sean Fraser on March 31, 2022. This article enlists latest processing times from IRCC website as of June 15, 2022. It’s important to understand what these processing times reflect.
What Updates Does the Processing Time Include
In addition to accurate processing times, this tool is supposed to provide new weekly calculations from the previous six months’ data. Moreover, it reflects the application volume with operational challenges to help future immigrants plan their journey better.
IRCC calculates processing time based on its time to process previous similar applications. The processing time begins when IRCC receives the application and ends when the immigration officer has decided on the application. Moreover, the processing time may vary on how the application was submitted on paper or online.
Current Processing Times
As per latest publicly available data, there are more than 2.13 million people that are awaiting processing. However, some improvements in processing time are seen with express entry applicants. Still, IRCC is struggling to process applications due the impact on Covid-19 pandemic. Below are some of the current processing times as updated by IRCC on June 15, 2022.
Processing Times for Citizenship & PR cards (Unchanged Since Last Update)
- Citizenship grant: 27 months
- Citizenship Certificate (proof of citizenship): 17 months
- Resumption of citizenship: 23 months
- Renunciation of citizenship: 15 months
- Search of citizenship records: 15 months
- New PR card: 71 days
- Renewing PR card: 60 days
Processing Time for Family Sponsorship (Unchanged Since Last Update)
- Spouse or common-law partner living outside Canada: 23 months
- Spouse or common-law partner living inside Canada: 15 months
- Parents or Grandparents: 34 months
Processing time for Canadian Passport (Still the same)
- 1. In-Canada New Passport (Regular application submitted in person at Service Canada Centre – Passport services): 10 business days
- 2. In-Canada New Passport (Regular application submitted by mail to Service Canada Centre): 20 business days
- 3. In-Canada New Passport (Standard pick-up): 10 business days
- 4. In-Canda Urgent pick-up: By the end of the next business day
- 5. In-Canada Express pick-up: 2-9 business days
- 6. Regular passport application mailed from outside Canada: 20 business days after receiving.
- Click here for updated wait times at passport offices across Canada.
Processing time for Economic Class (Unchanged Since Last Update)
- Canadian Experience Class (CEC): 11 months
- Federal Skilled Worker (FSWP): 26 months
- Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP): 43 months
- Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) through express entry: 21 months
- Non-Express Entry PNP: 27 months
- Quebec skilled worker: 32 months.
- Quebec business class: 64 months.
- Federal Self-employed: 41 months
- Atlantic Immigration Program: 18 months.
- Start-up Visa: 31 months
Processing Time for Temporary Residence Application
- Visitor visa outside Canada: Varies by country (India: 135 days: Increased by 4 days since last update on June 8)
- Visitor visa inside Canada: 171 days online and 29 days by paper. (Increased by 5 days (only online) since last update on June 8)
- Parents or grandparents Super Visa: Varies by country (India: 146 days – Increased by 1 day since last update on June 8)
- Visitor extension (Visitor record): 191 days online and 213 days by paper. (Reduced by 5 days (online) since last update on June 8)
- Study permit outside Canada: 12 weeks
- Study permit inside Canada: 3 weeks
- Work permit outside Canada: Varies by country (India: 41 weeks: Increased by 1 week since last update on June 8)
- Study permit extension: 66 days online and 210 days by paper. (Increased by 1 day online and reduced by 20 days by paper since last update on June 8)
- Work permit inside Canada (initial application or extension): 147 days online and 151 days by paper. (Increased by 2 days online since last update on June 8)
- International Experience Canada: Current season – 7 weeks. (Increased by 1 week since last update on June 8)