Skip to content

Moving To Canada From The U.S. – Here Are Common Options!

Recently, we have been receiving a lot of queries asking how can people from The United States of America (U.S.A) move to Canada. We all know, U.S. citizens do not need any visa for tourism purpose and can generally stay in Canada up to 6 months at a time. However, if Americans are looking to work or get permanent status in Canada, then they need to apply for visa.

This article delves into most common option for Americans to move and settle in the North.

Express Entry System

Americans having at least 1-year of work experience in skilled job and enough English/French fluency can apply for permanent residency (PR) under Express Entry system. It is called Express Entry Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP). This system allows skilled workers to pitch their profile for Canadian PR. Click here to check eligibility for FSWP.

Ideally, processing time for PR under Express Entry system is within 6 months from the date applicant submit their documents after invitation to apply (ITA). This is the most common and fastest way of getting Canadian PR for skilled workers around the Globe. Click here to check your eligibility for Express Entry FSWP.

Global Talent Stream

The Global Talent Stream (GTS) is the fastest immigration path for the workers of eligible employers who want to move to Canada. The processing time for GTS work permits is only two weeks. The Global Talent Stream allows eligible Canadian employers to hire foreign talent to meet the growing demand for highly skilled workers.

The employer needs to obtain LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment) to prove that they are unable to hire the required talent from within Canada. Click here for full details on Global Talent Stream.

The Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA)

The Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA) is a free trade agreement Canada, United States, and Mexico. It is also known as the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). Citizens of U.S. or Mexico can apply for work permit under CUSMA without requiring an LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment).

Furthermore, Americans can even apply for work permit at the U.S.-Canada land border or on-arrival at the Canadian Airport. Below mentioned is the most common CUSMA category:

For more information on CUSMA, visit IRCC’s official website here.

Study In Canada

Young Americans can apply to study in Canada. Study visa/permit is one of the common pathway for youngsters to study and integrate in Canada permanently. Students are allowed to work while they are studying in Canada to support their cost of living.

Moreover, international students get an open work permit once they graduate from approved DLI (Designated Learning Institution). After collecting enough experience they can become eligible to apply for permanent residency in Canada.

Apart from this, if your spouse or common-law partner is Canadian PR/Citizen, then you can directly apply for permanent residency (PR) based on your relationship. For more details. Know Here How To Sponsor Spouse Or Children For Canada PR!