Skip to content

Canada Open Work Permit – Here Is Who Can Apply!

An open work permit is a work permit that is not job-specific and permit holder can work for any employer.

There is no requirement of LMIA or job offer from a Canadian employer to apply for open work permit.

An open work permit holder is eligible to work for maximum of 40 hours per week. However, not everyone can apply an open work permit.

As per IRCC, you are eligible to apply for open work permit if one of the following situation describes you:

  1. Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP): International students who graduated from a designated learning institution (DLI) are eligible for an open work permit.
  2. Destitute Student: Student who’s no longer able to meet the costs of your studies.
  3. Employer-specific work permit holder being abused or at risk of being abused.
  4. Bridging Open Work Permit: Permanent resident applicants awaiting decision on their application.
  5. Dependent family member of someone who applied for permanent residence.
  6. Spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or international student.
  7. Spouse or common-law partner of an applicant of the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program
  8. Refugee, refugee claimant, protected person, or their family member
  9. You are under an unenforceable removal order (If your have filed federal judicial review, pre-removal risk assessment (PRRA), or humanitarian and compassionate considerations (H&C) in response to a removal order).
  10. Temporary resident permit holder who are otherwise inadmissible to Canada.
  11. A trader, investor, intra-company transferee or professional under the Canada – United States – Mexico Agreement (CUSMA).
  12. Additionally, young workers participating in special programs.

How To Apply

Click here to get full instructions on how to apply for an open work permit.

Recently, Canada also started open work permit for citizens of Ukraine and it will be valid for up to 3 years. Ukrainians can apply for an open work permit from outside Canada or within Canada here.

New Canada Workers Benefit Payment 2023 Is Now Rolling Out

Universal Eye Care Deemed Essential for Canadians 

Today, Canadians are facing a unique health crisis that continues to baffle researchers and plague the nation’s healthcare system. Over eight million citizens are living with at least one of…

New Report On International Students in Canada

Today, Canadian Senate members issued a report describing ways to improve the integrity of the program for international students in Canada. While the survey reveals that international students benefit Canada’s…


Something went wrong. Please refresh the page and/or try again.