A super visa is a temporary visa that permits parents and grandparents to live with their families in Canada.
In addition, it enables multiple entries valid for ten years. Therefore, parents and grandparents who qualify for the super visa can stay in Canada for five years without needing to renew their status.
The distinctive element of a super visa is that it allows holders to remain in Canada for five years at each entrance.
Conversely, 10-year multiple-entry visitor visas only provide a six-month status for each entry.
Table of Contents
Who is Eligible For Super Visa?
Applicants must be the parent or grandparent of Canadian citizens or permanent residents to be eligible.
Moreover, the dependents of parents or grandparents do not qualify for a super visa. However, they can apply for a standard visitor visa.
Furthermore, note that a super visa is a temporary visa. Hence, visa officer must be convinced that the applicant will leave Canada by the end of their intended visit.
Below are other factors the officer will consider to assess the genuineness of the application:
- Applicant’s ties to their home country
- the purpose of their visit
- the beneficiary’s financial situation and family
- the economic and political stability of the home country
- the letters of invitations
How to Apply for a Super Visa?
Remember that you can apply for a super visa from outside Canada. Your application can be on paper or online. To apply for a super visa, you need following:
- a letter of invitation from your child or grandchild who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada that includes:
- a promise of financial support for the duration of your visit
- the list and number of people in the household of this person
- a copy of this person’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document
- proof that your child or grandchild’s household meets the minimum necessary income; examples include:
- Notice of Assessment (NOA) or T4/T1 for the most recent tax year
- Employment Insurance stubs
- employment letter including salary and date of hiring
- pay stubs
- bank statements
- proof of payment for medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company that is:
- valid for at least 1 year from the date of entry
- at least $100,000 coverage
- a document confirming that you had an immigration medical exam
Once you have all the above, then you can apply online here.
Income Requirement For Sponsors
Sponsoring Canadian should meet the following minimum income criteria based on the size of their family.
|Size of Family Unit||New Minimum Gross Income Requirement for 2023||Old Gross Income Requirement for 2022|
|1 person (your child or grandchild)||$27,514||$26,620|
|More than 7 persons, for each additional person, add||$7,412||$7,172|