Alberta Express Entry Stream – An economic immigration program called the Alberta Advantage Immigration Program (AAIP), formerly the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP), nominates candidates for permanent residence in Alberta.
Under the AAIP, there are three streams for foreign workers who reside or plan to live and work in Alberta. One of the three streams is the Alberta Express Entry stream.
Candidates who are eligible and have an Express Entry profile might receive an invitation from AAIP to apply for nomination for permanent residence.
Table of Content
- About the Alberta Express Entry Stream
- Accelerated tech pathway
- Eligibility Criteria
- How to apply?
- Other important requirements
- Frequently Asked Questions
About the Alberta Express Entry Stream
Alberta may nominate a limited number of qualified candidates from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s Express Entry system to invite candidates under the Alberta Express Entry Stream.
Applicants with strong ties to Alberta or who can support the government in economic development and diversification may be invited to apply.
In addition, international graduates from Canadian post-secondary institutions are welcome to apply under this stream.
Within Alberta Express Entry steam is the accelerated tech pathway that allows eligible candidates to apply for expedited processing. Learn more below.
- You may also like:
- PR For NOC C or D In Ontario – Eligibility & How To Apply!
- PR For NOC C or D In Alberta – Eligibility & How to Apply!
- 16 NOC C Occupations To Become Eligible For Express Entry!
Accelerated tech pathway
If a candidate has a job offer from an appropriate tech occupation from an Alberta-based tech employer or the candidate is currently employed, they can apply for expedited processing under the Alberta Express Entry Stream.
Whether you are an applicant for the general Express Entry program or the Accelerated Tech Pathway, there are different selection, notification, and eligibility criteria. Read the steps and specifications below.
Alberta may choose candidates and send them a Notification of Interest letter in their federal Express Entry profile. The selection would be based on the profile information available on the federal Express Entry portal.
Within two weeks of receiving a Notification of Interest letter from Alberta, applicants who wish to be considered for this stream must email the Alberta Advantage Immigration Program (AAIP) a copy of the letter and any supporting documentation.
However, there is no guarantee that you will receive a Notification of Interest letter or be asked to apply if you meet the selection requirements.
Receiving notification of interest letters or asking to apply depends on the volume of potential candidates meeting the requirements, the occupation and available nominations.
However, you might get a Notification of Interest if you:
- Have an active Express Entry profile in the federal Express Entry pool.
- Expressed interest in immigrating permanently to Alberta
- Your Comprehensive Ranking System score is at least 300.
- The occupation in your federal Express Entry profile is the one that supports Alberta’s economic development and diversification.
Moreover, below are more factors that can help you get a Notification of Interest.
Factors that increase your prospects of receiving an invitation
You may be more likely to get a Notification of Interest letter if you satisfy one or more of the following adaptability criteria:
- Your first language is French.
- Having a job offer from an Alberta employer
- Be a graduate of a Canadian post-secondary institution.
- Having a parent, child or sibling who resides in Alberta permanently or who is a citizen of Canada
Factors that reduce your chances
You may be less likely to get a Notification of Interest letter if you meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Express Entry profile expiring in 5 months or less
- Your federal Express Entry profile’s principal occupation:
- Has a large volume of applications submitted across all AAIP
How to apply?
There are three steps to apply in the Alberta Express Entry Stream:
- To be considered for this stream, applicants must have an Express Entry profile with the Government of Canada.
- Candidates interested in applying under the Accelerated Tech Pathway must submit an online application to the Alberta Advantage Immigration Program (AAIP) with information regarding their Express Entry profile and their employment in Alberta or a job offer with an Alberta tech firm.
- All other Express Entry applicants must receive an AAIP Notification of Interest (NOI) letter in their profile before proceeding. Candidates must then email the NOI letter and a statement that they are interested in applying for the program to the AAIP.
- The AAIP decides whether applicants meet the minimum eligibility requirements. Candidates who match the minimum eligibility requirements will get an email inviting them to apply.
- To apply, candidates must first verify if they meet the assessment criteria. Then, if they meet the criteria, their completed application will be added to a pool of eligible applications to be processed.
Other important requirements
- You cannot apply directly to the Alberta Express Entry Stream as a candidate.
- Only invited candidates can submit an application. The AAIP invites candidates who can show they meet the minimum eligibility criteria.
- The federal Express Entry system and the Alberta Express Entry Stream do not accept nominations from other AAIP streams. Meaning you cannot use another AAIP nomination to apply under this stream.
- Nominees in the Alberta Express Entry Stream cannot extend their nomination.
- Candidate may be prohibited from reapplying to the AAIP for up to five years if the AAIP discovers fraud or misrepresentation in an application.
Alberta Express Entry Stream allows one to receive a nomination even with a low CRS score. As a candidate, you will receive a notification of interest from the province. However, ensure that your federal Express Entry profile is valid and will not expire in the coming months. Alberta also has a list of eligible and ineligible occupations that you can refer to ensure you meet all requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which NOC codes qualify under the Accelerated Tech Pathway?
Here’s the list of NOC codes and professions that qualify for the accelerated tech pathway:
- 0013 Senior managers – financial, communications and other business services
- 0112 Human resources managers
- 0131 Telecommunication carriers manager
- 0211 Engineering managers
- 0212 Architecture and science managers
- 0213 Computer and information systems managers
- 0512 Managers – publishing, motion pictures, broadcasting and performing arts
- 0601 Corporate sales managers
- 1123 Professional occupations in advertising, marketing and public relations
- 1121 Human resources professionals
- 1223 Human resources and recruitment officers
- 2131 Civil engineers
- 2132 Mechanical engineers
- 2133 Electrical and electronics engineers
- 2147 Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers)
- 2161 Mathematicians, statisticians and actuaries
- 2171 Information systems analysts and consultants
- 2172 Database analysts and data administrators
- 2173 Software engineers and designers
- 2174 Computer programmers and interactive media developers
- 2175 Web designers and developers
- 2221 Biological technologists and technicians
- 2232 Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians
- 2233 Industrial engineering and manufacturing technologists and technicians
- 2241 Electrical and electronics engineering technologists and technicians
- 2253 Drafting technologists and technicians
- 2281 Computer network technicians
- 2282 User support technicians
- 2283 Information systems testing technicians
- 3211 Medical laboratory technologists
- 3212 Medical laboratory technicians and pathologists’ assistants
- 3219 Other medical technologists and technicians (except dental health)
- 4163 Business development officers and marketing researchers and consultants
- 5131 Producers, directors, choreographers and related occupations
- 5241 Graphic designers and illustrators
- 7241 Electricians (except industrial and power system)
- 7242 Industrial electricians
- 7246 Telecommunications installation and repair workers
2. Which occupations are ineligible under the AAIP?
|NOC Code (2016)||NOC Skill Level||Occupation|
|0422||0||School principals and administrators of elementary and secondary education|
|0423||0||Managers in social, community and correctional services|
|0432||0||Fire chiefs and senior firefighting officers|
|0651*||0||Escort agency managers, massage parlour managers|
|4031||A||Secondary school teachers|
|4032||A||Elementary school and kindergarten teachers|
|4154||A||Professional occupations in religion|
|5121||A||Authors and writers|
|5133||A||Musicians and singers|
|5135||A||Actors and comedians|
|5136||A||Painters, sculptors and other visual artists|
|1227||B||Court officers and justices of the peace|
|3223*||B||Dental laboratory assistants/bench workers|
|4214*||B||Early childhood educators who do not have certification through Alberta Children’s Services – Child Care Staff Certification Office or who have been certified as Level 1 Early Childhood Educator (formerly Child Development Assistant)|
|4217||B||Other religious occupations|
|5232||B||Other performers, not elsewhere classified|
|5244||B||Artisans and craftspersons|
|6232||B||Real estate agents and salespersons|
|4411||C||Home child care providers|
|4412||C||Home support workers, housekeepers and related occupations|
|4413||C||Elementary and secondary school teacher assistants|
|6564||C||Other personal service occupations|
|7513||C||Taxi and limousine drivers and chauffeurs|
|8442||C||Trappers and hunters|
|6623||D||Other sales related occupations|
|6722||D||Operators and attendants in amusement, recreation and sport|
|6742||D||Other service support occupations, not elsewhere classified|
|8612||D||Landscaping and grounds maintenance labourers|
|8613||D||Aquaculture and marine harvest labourers|
3. Do you need to have an Express Entry profile to apply under this stream?
Yes, you must have a valid Express Entry profile. However, you cannot directly apply under this stream. The province of Alberta will notify you if they are interested in your profile and share an invitation to apply.
- Must Reads!
- Here Are Canada Immigration New Targets For 2022-2024
- New NOC Codes – Here Is All You Need To Know!
- Visitors in Canada Can Now Apply For Work Permit Until 2023
- Here Is Full List Of Facilitated LMIA Occupations In Quebec
- Is IRCC Having A Split Team For Processing Old & New Files?
- IRCC Officer DM10032 – Here Is All You Need To Know!
- Click here for the most viewed videos during 2022!
- Visit here for the most visited articles during 2021!
- Click here for all the important immigration news during 2022!