Spousal Open Work Permit Extension: “Opt-In” option to get an open work permit extension for up to 18 months is now available to eligible candidates until June 28, 2023.
As per this new measure, eligible spousal open work permit holders can apply for additional 18-month extension of their open work permit.
Who Is Eligible For Spousal Open Work Permit Extension Opt-In
You are eligible for 18-month spousal open work permit extension if you meet below listed criteria:
You currently hold a valid open work permit and it will expire prior to December 31, 2023.
- You are one of the following:
- An applicant who has currently applied for Canada permanent residence, but awaiting decision on your application.
- Permanent residence applicants awaiting a decision on their permanent residence application and their spouses.
- Spouse or dependent child/children of a work permit holder.
- Spouses of study permit holders.
- Your biometrics will remain valid for the full 18-month extension (unless exempt from biometric requirement).
- You have a Canadian mailing address.
- Your passport is valid for at least 18 months past the expiry of your current spousal open work permit.
- You are admissible to Canada (meaning you don’t have any major legal proceeding or a medical condition).
How to apply for 18-month Spousal Open Work Permit Extension
Remember to get an 18-month spousal open work permit extension, you will have to apply before your current work permit expires.
So there are 2 options as originally announced by immigration minister and listed below:
1. Opt-In: “Opt-In” is free facilitative measure that is now available in the secure GCKey account through which you initially applied.
You will or might have already received an email from an email address that ends in @cic.gc.ca or @notifications.canada.ca advising you of Opt-In option.
This option is only available until June 28, 2023. Individuals using “Opt-In” option will receive their new extension of open work permit by mail to their newly updated address.
2. Apply for open work permit: If you are unable to “Opt-In” before June 28, 2023 or due to any reason this option is unavailable in your GCKey, then you can still get 18-month extension.
How much Spousal Open Work Permit extension will I get?
You will get an 18-month extension of your spousal open work permit from the date of your current work permit expiry.
Should I “Opt-In” for spousal open work permit extension if my permit is going to expire after July 2023?
Yes, you can “opt-in” for spousal open work permit extension before the expiry of your current work permit. This is only available until June 18, 2023.
As per IRCC instructions, you will get 18-month extension from the date of expiry of your current work permit.
Please note that there is no guarantee that IRCC will not back down from these instructions as they did in 18-month PGWP extension instructions.
So if your work permit is expiring in September or October 2023, try to use the work permit application method to take the maximum benefit of this extension or to avoid any last minute IRCC changes.