Last Updated On 2 November 2022, 8:20 PM EDT (Toronto Time)
If you have a Canadian parent and need to prove Canadian citizenship, you need to have a citizenship certificate. A citizenship certificate is an important document that proves your Canadian citizenship.
You can get this certificate if you were born outside Canada but at least one of your biological or legal parents was already a Canadian citizen when you were born. However, if you were born in Canada you do not need one. This is because your birth certificate will act as proof of citizenship.
A Canadian citizenship certificate assures that you have the same rights and privileges as other citizens. Also, you can use it to access various services and benefits. Examples of this would be applying for a pension or a passport.
- You may also like:
- Canadian Citizenship – Know Eligibility And How to Apply!
- How Does Canada Citizenship Test Work? All You Need To Know!
- Canadian Citizenship Revocation – All You Need To Know!
- Canada To Start Online citizenship Applications For Multiple Adults In 2022!
How to apply for proof of Canadian citizenship?
To get proof of your Canadian citizenship, you need to follow a government process. You have to submit an application. Listed below are the steps you need to follow –
- Firstly you need to get an application package. This package has all the instructions, forms, and document checklists. You need to fill out all the forms. Make sure to include all documents listed in the checklist. Also, if your documents aren’t in English or French, you need to send a translation of the documents. Moreover, you need to include a sworn statement (affidavit) from the person who did the translation
- The next step is to pay the application fees. You can pay your fees online. The method of payment depends on where you’re applying from. Also, if you are submitting more than one application you can pay all the fees together. Please note that no refunds will be made once the application starts processing.
- Lastly, you need to submit the application. Make sure that all the information requested is attached and accurate.
You can also apply online to get proof of citizenship.
Along with your form, you will need proof that your parent was a Canadian citizen when you were born. This proof can be in the form of a birth certificate or a Canadian citizenship card. It can also be your parent’s citizenship certificate. You may also need your birth certificate and proof of identity.
There is no time/age limit to apply for this. You can apply even if your Canadian parent is deceased. However, you should be able to prove that they were Canadian at the time of your birth.
Currently, the processing time for proof of citizenship certificates is 17 months. This is after receiving a complete application. Also, processing times may be more if you are applying from outside Canada and US.