Today (July 4, 2022), increase in Canada Super Visa duration to 5 years became effective. This new enhancement to the program was announced by IRCC Minister Honourable Sean Fraser on June 7, 2022. This will now allow parents and grandparents to stay for up to 5 years after entering Canada.
Additionally, they can apply for 2-year extension after the 5-year stay. However, Super Visa holders already in Canada (as of July 4) are not eligible for 5-year stay as per this new change to the program.
They will either have to re-enter Canada or apply for an extension of up to 2 years. Below are the scenarios shared by IRCC in which your parents or grandparents may or may not be eligible for new 5-year Super Visa duration.
New 5-year Super Visa Duration Will Be Applicable To Below
- If Visa is applied on or after July 4, 2022, then you are eligible for stay of up to 5 years
- Visa was applied before July 4, 2022, but approved after July 4, 2022, then also your parents or grandparents can stay up to 5 years.
- If Visa was approved before July 4, 2022, but visa holders enter Canada after July 4, 2022. Still the visa holders qualify for new 5-year duration.
New 5-year Duration Will “NOT” Be Applicable To Below
- If Super Visa holder entered Canada with a valid visa before July 4, 2022. Then they are not eligible for new 5-year stay.
- So, their length of stay remains the same as specified or granted by the border services officer at Port of Entry (Airport).
Below are the options if you are not eligible for new 5-year duration. Or, if you entered Canada before July 4, 2022.
- You may also like:
- Parents and Grandparents Program – Here Are Two Alternatives
- Canada Super Visa – Here Is All You Need To Know!
- IRCC Announced Increase In Super Visa Duration To 5 Years!
- IRCC New Updated Online Processing Times As Of June 29!
Options For Super Visa Holders Who Entered Canada Before July 4, 2022
- Super Visa holders who entered Canada before July 4, 2022 will need to leave Canada and enter again, if they want their duration of stay to be 5 years. Otherwise, they can continue to stay for up to 2 years or the length of stay granted by border services officer.
- Alternatively, they can apply for an extension before the expiry of their current 2-year duration of stay. However, they will get an extension of another 2 years only.