Skip to content
Canada Licenses

4 Licenses In Canada That Can Earn You More Than $20/hour

Last Updated On 25 August 2023, 10:13 AM EDT (Toronto Time)

Canada is one of the most popular countries for international students. This is because of a better lifestyle, diversity of culture, and excellent career opportunities. 

Furthermore, Canada also welcomes record number of new permanent residents who may find it difficult to land a job.

As a newcomer to Canada, you might have to rely on part-time jobs to meet their daily financial needs.

However, most of these part-time jobs pay you the minimum wage prevalent in the province.

But, if you are looking to earn more you can do so. All you need to do is have some licenses. Getting a few licenses helps you earn more than the minimum wage.

So, if you are looking for a job that pays more than the minimum wage, you are in the right place. This article lists 4 licenses you can get to earn more-

1. Security Guard

A security guard job requires you to protect other people or property. You need to have a license to become a security guard.

Once you have this license, you can work as a security guard, concierge, bodyguard, bouncer, or loss prevention employee. All of these jobs pay more than the minimum wage.

Most provinces have the same process for getting a license. You have to make sure that you meet the requirements of the province you are applying from.

You can find this on each province’s government website. If you meet the requirements you get to get specialized training classes.

After which, you must pass a test. Lastly, you apply for your license. 

2. Food and Beverage Server

One of the most common jobs among students is being a server/bartender. Working as a server offers you to have a flexible schedule.

Though you get paid a minimum wage, you receive a lot of tips. The tips depend on the establishment, time of day, and day of the week.

However, the standard tipping rate in Canada is between 15% and 20%.

So, you can make anywhere between $75.00 and $200.00 in tips a night, or even more.

Depending on your province, you might need to get a certification from a regulatory authority before you start working.

So, you need to have a food and beverage license for this. Check here if your province needs you to have one.

3. Forklift License

Forklifts or Powered Industrial Trucks / Lift Trucks are found in a large number of industries.

They are used to move materials by transporting, raising, lowering, or removing a variety of different-sized objects in boxes, crates, pallets, or other containers.

You need to have a forklift license to operate the machine.

The reason is to be aware of how to prevent industrial accidents, damage, injuries, and fatality.

To get a license you need to complete safety training in accordance with provincial legislation.

Once you have completed the training you need to pass an evaluation. After this, you can start working as a forklift operator.

The average salary for a forklift operator is $20.16 per hour in Canada.

4. Driving License

A very common job among students is being an Uber or Lyft driver. It basically means doing ridesharing.

The job is great because of its accessibility and flexibility. You can choose when and where you want to work. All you need is a driving license, a car, and a phone.

The process of getting a driver’s license in Canada depends on your province.

Your earnings depend on how often you drive, but on average, you can get $20-$25 per hour or even more as a ridesharing driver.


Something went wrong. Please refresh the page and/or try again.