What is a work permit?
A work permit is a document issued by the Canadian Government that allows foreign nationals to work legally in Canada. In general, all individuals who are not Canadian citizens or Canadian Permanent residents of Canada need a valid work permit to work in Canada.
What are different types of work permits?
There are three major types of work permits-
- Firstly, the one that requires a job offer from a Canadian employer with positive to neutral LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment).
- Secondly, the ones that are LMIA exempt, but still require job offer from a Canadian employer.
- Lastly, Open Work Permits that don’t require any LMIA or job offer. Click here to check eligibility for Open work permit.
How many hours can I work on Work permit?
You cannot work more than 40 hours per week on a work permit.
How Long does it Take to Get a Work Permit in Canada?
The processing time of work permits will vary from a few weeks to a few months depending on the country you apply from. Moreover, it also depends on the type of work permit you have applied for. You can use online IRCC tool to get an approximate time for work permit processing here.
- You may also like:
- Canada Open Work Permit – Here Is Who Can Apply!
- How To Continue Work After Work Permit Expiry – Plan Ahead!
- Visitors in Canada Can Now Apply For Work Permit Until 2023
- Understanding LMIA For Canada Work Permit! Things You Need To Know!
- Here Is Full List Of Facilitated LMIA Occupations In Quebec
Who can apply?
As mentioned in the previous answer, first you will need to check your eligibility for work permit. However, regardless of where you apply or which type of work permit you apply for, you need to-
- Prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your work permit expires
- Show that you have sufficient funds to take care of yourself during your stay in Canada
- Have no record of criminal activity.
- Should not be a threat to Canada’s security
- Be in good health. Also, you might need to provide a medical certificate.
- Not plan to work for an employer listed with the status “ineligible”. Also, you should not plan to work for an employer who, on a regular basis, offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services, or erotic massages.
- Lastly, you have to give the officer any other documents they ask for to prove you can enter the country.
How long is a work permit valid for?
The validity of your work permit depends on the nature of your job in Canada. Also, it depends on the work permit category under which you have applied. The expiry date is usually mentioned on the work permit document. You can extend your work permit from inside Canada, but some work permits have a maximum duration.
Can I change employers?
If you are on an open work permit in Canada, then you can change employers without any requirements. However, if you are on an employer-specific work permit, then you cannot work for any other employer.
Additionally, if you want to work for another employer or convert your work permit to an open work permit, then you will need to apply again to IRCC citing a valid reason for the same.
What is the processing fee for the work permit?
The processing fee for the work permit is $155 + $85 biometric fee.
How to apply for a work permit?
You can apply for a work permit online through IRCC’s website.