The B.C. immigration program, officially known as the British Columbia Provincial Nominee Program (B.C. PNP) is now prioritizing 25 new construction occupations, effective November 16, 2023.
These occupations include electricians, plumbers, carpenters, welders, concrete finishers, painters, and all other trades essential to the construction sector.
The province held its first targeted round of invitations for permanent residency for these 25 new construction occupations on November 16, sending out only 12 PR invitations.
These invitations were sent under all the categories of provincial Skills Immigration and their Express Entry variants.
This prioritization complements the province’s Homes for People action plan, which intends to address the need for residential housing and infrastructure in B.C. over the next five years.
To tackle this challenge, targeted invitations to apply are being sent to workers in certain occupations who also have a valid B.C. trades qualification.
This criteria will ensure that construction workers nominated by B.C. are ready to contribute to the BC employment market right away.
A valid B.C. trades qualification includes a SkilledTradesBC trades certificate or an apprenticeship recognized with SkilledTradesBC.
New List of Construction Occupations Eligible For B.C. Immigration
- 22114 Landscape and horticulture technicians and specialists
- 72102 Sheet metal workers
- 72103 Boilermakers
- 72104 Structural metal and platework fabricators and fitters
- 72105 Ironworkers
- 72106 Welders and related machine operators
- 72200 Electricians (except industrial and power system)
- 72201 Industrial electricians
- 72300 Plumbers
- 72301 Steamfitters, pipefitters and sprinkler system installers
- 72302 Gas fitters
- 72310 Carpenters
- 72311 Cabinetmakers
- 72320 Bricklayers
- 72400 Construction millwrights and industrial mechanics
- 72401 Heavy-duty equipment mechanics
- 72402 Heating, refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics
- 72500 Crane operators
- 73100 Concrete finishers
- 73101 Tilesetters
- 73102 Plasterers, drywall installers and finishers and lathers
- 73110 Roofers and shinglers
- 73111 Glaziers
- 73112 Painters and decorators (except interior decorators)
- 73113 Floor covering installers
Previously, B.C. was only holding targeted rounds of invitations for early childhood educators, tech, and healthcare occupations, along with Veterinarians
and animal health technologists, as well as veterinary technicians.