Last Updated On 28 October 2022, 7:04 PM EDT (Toronto Time)
Ontario Health Card – Free health care is one of the most significant benefits of moving to Canada. In Canada, health care is delivered through each province and territory. In Ontario, it is called OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Program).
OHIP pays for a lot of health services that you may need. All you need to have is a health card. So, if you are new to Canada and need to get a health card, you are in the right place.
This article has a stepwise guide to applying for a health card.
Health Care in Ontario
Ontario Health Insurance Program provides free health care services because these are covered by provincial taxes. However, you need to carry your OHIP card every time, to get these services. The provincial government issues this card as proof that you are eligible to get free healthcare.
OHIP covers the entire cost of-
- Family doctor visits
- Walk-in clinic visits
- Hospital stays (excluding private or semi-private rooms)
- One eye exam every year for people19 years and younger and/or 65 years and older. However, an eye exam for anyone between 20-64 years of age is covered if you have a specific medical condition, such as glaucoma or diabetes mellitus.
- Any dental surgery that is performed in a hospital.
- You may also like:
Healthcare For Newcomers To Canada – All You Need To Know
- Beware Of These Most Common Scams Targeting People In Canada
- How To Apply SIN(Social Insurance Number) For Work In Canada
- Know About 3 Benefits For Newcomers In Canada!
How to apply for Ontario health card?
You have to apply for a health card in person at a ServiceOntario Centre. You can check their website for your nearest location. Also, you can call them at 416-326-1234 or 1-866-532-3161 from Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. for any additional information.
Listed below is a stepwise guide to applying for a health card-
Fill out a form
Before visiting ServiceOntario, you need to fill in the Registration for Ontario Health Insurance Coverage form. You can download this form online or can pick up a copy at a Service Ontario Centre. Each person applying will need a separate form. The form is available in English and as well as French.
Get your documents
You need to bring three separate documents on your visit. You can find the list of qualifying documents here. Please note that photocopies are not accepted. These three documents should prove-
Visit Service Ontario Centre
You need to visit a ServiceOntario Centre in person with the above-mentioned form and documents. Getting in in the morning is advisable to avoid long wait times. Also, if you have children or dependents aged 15-and-a-half years or younger, you can apply on their behalf at the same time.
However, children older than that need to apply on their own. A service representative will process your application once you have all the required documents. Also, they will take your photo. You do not have to pay anything for the card.
Click here to find your nearest Service Ontario Centre.
Receive your card
Lastly, you will receive your card via mail. It may take two to three weeks to arrive.
- More Reads:
- Here Are Canada Immigration New Targets For 2022-2024
- Here Is How To Extend Your Stay In Canada
- Visitors in Canada Can Now Apply For Work Permit Until 2023
- Click here for the most viewed videos during 2022!
- Visit here for the most visited articles during 2021!
- Click here for all the important immigration news during 2022!
2 Trackbacks / Pingbacks
Comments are closed.