Background For Visitor Visa Holders:
A temporary public policy for visitor visa holders was announced on August 24, 2020. This policy was until March 31, 2020. As a result, this allowed visitor visa holders already in Canada to apply for work permit, if they came before August 24 2020 and have a job offer in addition to other requirements.
But, then this policy was amended to allow all visitor visa holders without considering their date of entry to Canada.
Now, this policy is being extended until February 28, 2022.
Apart from this, a worker who converted into visitor status, can also apply for work permit again under this amendment of policy.
Here Is What Policy Says For Visitor Visa Holders:
(Source from IRCC)
This public policy will
- permit eligible foreign nationals with valid temporary resident status as visitors to apply for a job offer-supported work permit from inside Canada
- exempt eligible foreign nationals from the requirement that a work permit not be issued if they have not complied with certain temporary residence conditions
- allow eligible former temporary foreign workers to work while a decision on their work permit application is pending
Eligibility For Visitor Visa Holders:
(Sourced from IRCC)
The foreign national
- is in Canada with valid temporary resident status as a visitor, including status extensions under subsection 183(5) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR), that is, maintained status, at the time of work permit application submission
- has submitted an employer-specific work permit application using the Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker [IMM 5710]
- has remained in Canada with status since application submission
- submitted the application on or before February 28, 2022
Eligibility Requirements For Interim Authorization To Work:
You can apply, if you:
- had valid temporary resident status at the time of work permit application submission and have remained in Canada with status since;
- held a valid work permit in the 12 months preceding the date on which they submitted their application for a work permit under this public policy, even though they are now only a visitor;
- intend to work for the employer and occupation specified by the LMIA or LMIA-exempt offer of employment included in their work permit application submitted under the public policy;
- have applied to IRCC for the interim authorization to work as per this public policy using the IRCC Web form; and
- have requested that the authorization to work be applicable until a decision is made on their work permit application.
How To Apply For Visitor To Worker Policy:
The applications should be submitted online.
As per IRCC:
“Answer the individual questions correctly. Your present status is as a visitor, and you are applying to work for a term over or under 6 months.
When asked: “Are you applying under the Canada–USA–Mexico Agreement (CUSMA) or under a Public Policy related to work permits as announced by IRCC for an employer specific work permit?”
**NOTE: Applicants must submit a complete employer-specific work permit application, including a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) or LMIA-exempt offer of employment and, if applicable, a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ).
Click Here For Foreign national seeking interim work authorization