However, you must apply to extend your work permit at least 30 days before your current work permit expires.
30 days is recommended time by IRCC, but foreign workers can even submit an application 1-2 days prior to expiry. However, it is not advisable.
Getting a work permit extension also depends on the type of work permit you want to extend.
Moreover, if you apply to extend or change the conditions of your work permit before it expires, you can legally stay in Canada while your application is processing.
In this article, you can learn about who can apply to extend or change conditions on their work permits and how to apply.
Table of Contents
Who can apply to extend or change conditions on their work permit?
If the following applies to you, then you can apply to extend your work permit:
- You want to extend your stay as a worker and meet requirements to apply for a type of work permit.
- Require to make changes to the conditions on your work permit like:
- Change in the type of work you do
- Changes in the employer you can work for
- Change where you can work.
- This includes limitations imposed because you required a medical examination. For example, you may have received an open work permit with restrictions on working in health care because you did not pass a medical exam.
- Need to update your gender on your work permit
- Use this application and attach the Request for a Change of Sex or Gender Identifier form [IRM 0002] if you identify as a different gender from the one shown on your work permit.
- You could request an amendment to a current temporary resident document if IRCC made a mistake on your work permit.
- You may also like:
- Canada Open Work Permit – All You Need To Know
- Canada Work Visa For Up To 90 Days Without LMIA Via GATS
- IRCC Announces New Temporary Work Permit Policy For 2 Years
- Canada Bridging Open Work Permit – All You Need To Know!
- Canada Temporary Foreign Workers – Know How To Report Abuse
Extending Employer-specific work permit
Employer-specific work permits allow you to work for a particular employer under certain conditions.
You must apply to extend or amend the terms of your work permit if:
- Your job position has been extended.
- There are changes in your current job, such as:
- Your pay rate has changed.
- new or updated responsibilities
- You got another job offer.
- Want to work for a new employer
Remember that you cannot start working at a different job or for a new employer until you receive your work permit with the new conditions.
Extending open work permits
If you currently have an open work permit, you might be able to extend it if you’re still qualified to work in Canada.
Spousal open work permit can be extended if the sponsoring spouse continues their study or work in a skilled job.
Remember that an open work permit allows you to work under any employer anywhere in Canada.
You are not restricted to work under a specific employer or any particular conditions on an open work permit.
Normally, post graduation work permit (open work permit) is not extendable. However, IRCC has temporarily allowed to extend PGWPs expiring during 2023 for another 18 months.
Next, learn how to apply to extend your work permit.
How to apply to extend your work permit?
You often submit an online application to extend or modify your work permit’s requirements.
Applying online helps ensure that you submit a complete application.
You will also receive a letter proving that you can continue working under the same conditions as your current work permit.
Moreover, you will save on mailing and courier fees and receive application status updates directly in your account.
Below are the steps to apply online.
Step 1: Prepare everything you need
Ensure that you have digital copies of all your documents and access to a camera or a scanner if needed.
You will also need a valid international debit or credit card to pay the application fee of $155, depending on the application type.
Step 2: Refer to the IRCC instruction guide
Depending on the type of work permit you plan to extend, you can refer to the IRCC’s complete instruction guide before completing your application.
It details how to complete each field on the form.
Step 3: Answer questions to the IRCC’s online tool
You must respond to a few questions before you can upload your forms.
IRCC will provide you with a personalized document checklist based on your responses.
Step 4: Prepare to pay the fees
You would have to pay the processing fees for yourself plus anyone included in your application.
IRCC will ask you to pay your fees towards the end of your application.
- Work permit fee: $155
- Open work permit holder fee: $100
If you are applying for an open work permit, ensure that you pay both the work permit and the open work permit holder fee.
Step 5: Sign in or create your new online account.
To apply online, you must have an account. With an online account, you can pay your fees, submit your application and check your application status.