On November 5, 2021 — IRCC announced that they will now be accepting online applications for proof of citizenship and searching for citizenship records. This can be done via secure online IRCC portal. Applicants can pay the related fees and upload supporting documents online using this portal. As per IRCC newsroom, this online portal can be used for following three purposes:
- Requesting a replacement citizenship certificate (proof) that does not require changes to the information on the certificate (such as name, date of birth)
- Submitting straightforward claims for proof of citizenship by descent, as defined under the Citizenship Act
- Requesting a search of citizenship records for an applicant
Furthermore news gave more information on eligibility for straightforward claim for proof of citizenship by descent. This will apply to applicants with a Canadian parent who was
- Granted citizenship on or after April 17, 2009, or
- Born in Canada on or after February 15, 1977
Online applications are usually faster than paper applications. Applicants outside Canada and in the U.S. can also use this online application to save time as they will no longer need to go in person to an embassy or high commission to submit an application.
Applicants who have already submitted a paper application should not submit another online application for the same request as paper applications will continue to be accepted and processed.
Click here to apply for Canadian Citizenship Certificate
Click here to apply for Search of Citizenship Records.