Skip to content
working as international student

Working As International Student – Things You Need To Know

Last Updated On 16 August 2023, 10:25 AM EDT (Toronto Time)

Here is all you need to know about working as international student in Canada since they are limited to working specific hours to maintain their student status.

As an international student, you are responsible for keeping track of hours and complying with your study permit conditions.

Here’s what you need to know about working in Canada as an international student.

Who Can Work?

If you are eligible to work during your studies, the study permit will say so in the conditions.

Additionally, it’ll mention if you can work off-campus. You don’t need a work permit if you’re eligible to work off-campus.

However, you can check the below listed requirements to ensure that you do not require a work permit.

Eligibility Requirements

To work off-campus without a work permit, you must meet all the following requirements. You:

  • Must be a full-time student at a Designated Learning Institute.
  • Be enrolled in a post-secondary program (academic, vocational, or professional training).
  • The duration of your study program must be at least six months leading to a degree, diploma, or certificate.
  • Have a Social Insurance Number (SIN). 
  • Your studies have begun; you can’t work before your studies begin. 
Working Off-Campus During Regular School Term

You can work up to 20 hours per week off-campus. Moreover, you can do more than one job as long as you continue to meet your study permit conditions.

Working Off-Campus During Scheduled Breaks

During scheduled breaks, you can work full time. Schedule breaks are holidays that may include winter, summer, spring, fall, or during the reading week.

In addition, you can work overtime or two part-time jobs, adding to your usual hours.

Furthermore, you must be a full-time student before and after the break to work during scheduled breaks.

Therefore, you cannot work before the start of your academic session.

If you are freelancing or self-employed

Even if you are self-employed, you need to keep track of all hours worked off-campus.

Your working hours include earning wages for offered services or selling products.

Additionally, you need to comply with your study permit conditions, for which you must:

  • Actively pursue your studies
  • Work 20 hours per week only
  • Meet any other requirements mentioned on your study permit. 
Working On-Campus

You can work on-campus if your study permit lists a condition that says you are allowed to work.

Furthermore, You can work as many hours as you want, in addition to working off campus.

First, however, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must be a full-time student at a post-secondary educational institute.
  • Hold a valid study permit
  • Have a Social Insurance Number (SIN).
working as international student
INC – Immigration News Canada

Working As International Student, international students work hours,