Skip to content
Canada permanent residency Express Entry draw

Canada Express Entry – Full List Of Documents You Need

Last Updated On 30 June 2023, 10:23 AM EDT (Toronto Time)

Express Entry system is still the most popular and fastest way of getting Canada permanent residency (PR).

If you are planning to create a profile with Express Entry system or hoping to get an invitation in next draw, then you can stay prepared by proactively getting your documents in order.

Remember that the documents you must have to create your Express Entry profile and the documents that you will require to submit after receiving an invitation to apply (ITA) are two difference aspects. 

Below, you can learn about the required documents you will need while creating your Express Entry profile and the necessary documents to submit after you receive an ITA. 

Documents required when creating an Express Entry profile

You will need the following documents at the time of creating your Express Entry profile for consideration in a draw. 

  • A valid passport or travel document
  • Language test results: ensure that your language test results are valid or less than two years old. 
  • Education credentials: provide proof of Canadian education or an educational credential assessment report if the following applies to you:
    • Applying through the Federal Skilled Worker Program, or 
    • Want to claim points for your education outside of Canada 
    • A provincial nomination, if applicable 
    • A written job offer from a Canadian employer (if you have one), proof of work experience, and a certificate of qualification in a trade occupation issued by a Canadian province or territory are all required (if you have one)
    • Proof of funds 

Documents required after you receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) in a Draw 

If you are invited to apply in an Express Entry draw, then you must attach copies of the documents you used for your profile.

Most applicants will additionally be required to submit the following documents:

  • Police certificate: if you have lived in any country for more than six months, you will need a police certificate from that country and the police certificate from your country of residence. 
  • Medical exam: if you are an in-Canada applicant, you are exempt from the medical exam requirement until October 6, 2024.
    • If you are outside Canada, you will still need to undergo a medical examination 
  • Proof of funds: You must show that you have enough funds to support yourself and your dependent. 
  • Birth Certificate – this is an essential document if you have dependent children 
  • Use of representative form if applicable 
  • Common-law union form, if applicable 
  • Marriage certificate, if applicable 
  • Divorce certificate, if applicable 
  • Death certificate if your marital status is widowed 
  • Adoption certificate if your dependent children are adopted 

Other required documents 

You only need to send these if they are on your customized document checklist.

If you do not provide these documents, your application may not be refused or rejected. They are only used to determine whether you fulfill the program requirements for which you are applying.

  • Relationship proof to a relative in Canada 
  • Your digital photos to verify your identity 
  • another name to confirm aliases or nicknames
  • Form authorizing the release of personal information to a designated individual 
  • Any other documents you believe are relevant to your application

To get more information on the documents you may require, check out IRCC’s official page


Something went wrong. Please refresh the page and/or try again.