U.S. visitor visa is required by temporary or permanent residents living in Canada, if they are from a visa requiring country and want to enter U.S. You may need this visa for
- personal travel to explore the U.S.A.
- Exit and enter Canada after expiry of 6-month stay on visitor visa
- work-related meetings.
- cheaper air ticket via U.S.
Steps to apply for US Visitor Visa from Canada
Fill out the form
The first thing you need to do is fill out some information and complete the Form DS-160 Application Form. You need to complete this application form online. Also, you can no longer submit handwritten forms. Once you have filled the form, take down the confirmation/application number. each applicant will have their own confirmation number.
You will need this number when you book your appointment or if you plan on completing the application form later. Passport information is required while filling out this form along with additional personal information.
- You May Also Like:
- Long Wait Times at Toronto Airport – Here Is How To Avoid!
- Canada Ended Vaccine Mandates For Outbound International Flights W.E.F. Jun 20!
- List Of Canada’s Highest Job Vacancy Sectors For 2022!
- 7 Easily Available Part Time Jobs In Canada!
Schedule The Interview
You need to schedule an Interview. You should book this appointment well ahead of your planned trip. This is because there is a huge wait time to get an appointment.
Pay the fees
The application fee is $160 USD and it is non-refundable. Additionally, if the visa is approved, certain citizens from some countries also have to pay the visa issuance fees.
Gather all Documents
You should have all your documents before your interview. You need the following documents
- Passport- You must have a passport that is valid at least six months beyond your period of stay in the US
- Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 confirmation page.
- Fee Payment– if you are required to pay the application fee before the interview, make sure to carry the payment receipt.
- Photo- You need to upload your photo while filling the Form DS-160. However, if the photo is not accepted, you will have to bring one printed photo. Make sure you check the photo requirements beforehand.
- Also, you might need some additional documents like the purpose of your trip. And, a proof that you can pay the costs of the trip.
Attend the interview
Lastly, you need to attend the interview. The consular officer will interview you and decide if you are qualified to receive a visitor visa or not. You need to prove that you fulfill all requirements to get a visa. Additionally, digital fingerprints are necessary for the application process. Usually, you have to do this during the interview. However, it depends on the location.
Once you are done with the interview, the officer decides if your application needs further processing. They will inform you of their decision. If everything goes well, you have to pay a visa issuance fee (depending on your nationality) and arrange for the return of the passport and visa to you.
Shanvi Kaur is a content writer at Immigration News Canada. She moved to Canada as an immigrant and now focuses on bringing the latest news to immigrants to make their journey easier in Canada!